Medico-legal Services

A family breakdown can be one of the most stressful and heart-breaking situations a person can experience. I understand this painful process and undertake assessments of parents, children and adolescents for the Family Court.

It is important to note that court reports are provided as an independent expert. This is different and separate to a treating psychiatrist with the two roles unable to be undertaken by the same psychiatrist. This means that I can’t provide a report for a person (including a young person) under my care or care for person involved in a report I have prepared.

Referral for court assessments and reports must come from your lawyer or an independent children’s lawyer. Specific costs apply and reports are not eligible for Medicare rebates.

A failure to declare current court proceedings or requests for reports will invalidate legal assessments and also impair clinical care. As a result, not declaring current court proceedings at the time of referral, will require me to discharge you or your child back to the care of your General Practitioner, who will help find appropriate ongoing care.